Monday, July 5, 2010

Toronto The Good

Ontario College of Art & Design

For the past three months or so I have been obsessed with Toronto for some reason. I have spent a considerable amount of time learning and researching about this beautiful city to the north, before this year is over, I have made a personal promise to spend a weekend (shooting for August or September) in the city that produced Aubrey Graham. Graham is not the inspiration for my sudden interest in this beautiful city to the north, the stunning architecture is the focus of my fascination. Toronto earns it's nickname of the city that works, because it's architecture simply works.
The Royal Ontario Museum looks like something out of the Jetson's.

Nothing looks out of place in Toronto, from Frank Ghery's Deconstructiveism renovation of The Art Gallery of Ontario to the classic Chateau-style design of The Fairmont Royal York. In case you're not familiar with Mr. Ghery's work, he tried to collaborate with Jay-Z on the superfutureistic Nets Stadium, but apparently Mr. Carter and company could not afford his original design. It's tough balling on a budget, I feel you Jay we're reading from the same book, page, paragraph, and sentence. I had to include something "black", I am the Happy Black man after all.



Art Gallery of Ontario..check out the stair case and attached building...sick

Along with the great architecture also comes the cultural and social scene of a city that can easily be compared to that of New York City. New York has it quirky neighborhoods like Tribeca, The Meatpacking District, and SOHO, Toronto also has comparable areas such as The Distillery District, The Garden District, and Harbourfront. When I venture north I plan to take in all these wonderful sights and hopefully enjoy the hospitality that Canadian women are apparently known for.


Royal Distillery District..Old warehouse district turned hipster paradise.


No comments:

Post a Comment