Thursday, September 16, 2010

Your Cartoons Suck



The other day I was watching cartoons with my little brother, and I had the sudden urge to take a trip down memory lane. This short trip lead me down a rabbit hole that put me in the land of cartoons past. I found my self in a land inhabited by kids at recess led by the greatest leader of all time T.J. Detweiler. There was a girl named PepperAnn talking to this kid named Doug, he had his best friend Sketter (pause) with him. Behind them was a kid with a football shaped head named arnold. In the corner were the adults Miss Finster and principal Prickley exchanging notes.

I also saw this ratty looking kid named Randall taking notes. After long deliberation I've come to the conclusion Randall was the first snitch we all encountered. Till today I know a couple of Randalls.

If you grew up with a tv in your home...all those names I just rattled off have significant meaning to you. Those names probably represent some of your first heroes and villians. These people helped us identify the difference between good and bad when we were children as much as our parents did. Our young incocent minds had very little to worry about and very little to process.

When I look at the cartoons, shows, and movies coming out it seems like the bad one's outnumber the good. Of course I am loooking at this as a grown man but I would like to think 90 percent of todays cartoons would not have made it onto one saturday morning. Maybe 75 percent of the tv shows would have made it unto SNICK when All That was All That. I guess all good things must come to an end.

The end of these shows not only signaled the end of an era it also signaled the end of our childhood.

1 comment:

  1. Recess was definitely the shiznit....wouldn't leave for school until I had my daily dose..Recess starts at 8:30am...school starts at 9...can you say....L.A.T.E
    Good Blog so far...

    ReplyDelete